Monday, January 31, 2011

Meatless Mondays for the Masses...

My deepest apologies on ignoring this blog over the past couple of weeks. In all guilty honesty, my diet has consisted of soy BLTs, packed daily in a iced lunchbox with yogurt, fruit, and candy bar. I now work two jobs and am back in graduate school full-time, and those heavenly hours of self-discovery in the kitchen are now just a wistful memory. I am trying to work out my schedule to have more free time.

I got this e-mail today in my university account and thought it was worth replicating in this blog, given my inability to actually write a new entry lately! See the original e-mail at EKU Students Today.




Did you know that the average American will eat:

12 sheep
15 cows
24 hogs
900 chickens
plus 1000 pounds of other meat in their lifetime?!?!?

According to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2.5% of our daily calories should come from protein.

What is an easy way to cut back on protein? Cut out meat ONE day a week!

USAToday has dubbed people that cut meat out one day a week as "flexitarians" AKA people who enjoy meat, but want to cut back for the health benefits.

Try it out this week and cut out meat one day this week!

http://www.planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/green-glossary/proteing-myth.html

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2011-01-24-trends201124_CV_N.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment